Pasteles (Puerto Rican Tamales)
- Comes Filled with Pork, Chicken, Shrimp or Vegan (Chickpeas) !!
- Original One Dozen (12) Half Dozen (6)
- Banana Leaf
- Contains One (1) Olive
Puerto Rican Christmas Tradition! If you’ve ever had a Mexican tamale, you’re already familiar with the concept of a pasteles. However, pasteles masa are made with green bananas and plantains instead of corn. My signature mix is a green banana and plantain based masa. In addition to the green bananas, I add a small number of other roots that soften the paste.
- Add as much hot water as needed to almost submerge the pasteles. Cover with banana leaves (not necessary).
- Let the pasteles cook for about a 1 hour or more, adding water as needed, don't let the water dry out.
- Recommended: do a taste test, needed to ensure that the pasteles are fully cooked.
- Turn the heat off and let the pasteles sit in the pot for for about an additional 20 minutes, so it cools down.
- Carefully remove pasteles with tongs.
- Transfer the pasteles to a serving dish and take off strings. Carefully open pasteles – it releases hot steam as you open.
- Serve warm.